Thursday, August 24, 2006

"they want no ravers moving in around here"

Yar, and the like. Here's some me-news, for those of you with an interest:

I have been working on my novel every day, in spite of school, but I've been hitting around 500 words, instead of 1000. I also had to do a memoir (gag) for creative writing, which is finished now, at around 1100 words -- that took me two days, which would be incredibly depressing, but it's a memoir, and I don't care. Even if I did center it on the Duke of Weillington.

I finally met my new boss and know about my job now. I am the "Program Assistant" for the English department -- that is, Professor Flann knew I would need to e-mail people for information and help, and gave me a title so the person at the other end wouldn't think, "Oh, just another grad. student." I've had to flitter out an e-mail signature featuring it twice, so we'll see how that works. She mentioned bunches of things she'd like me to look up -- apparently EKU requires teachers to do one more class than other universities, so she's swamped, and I'm doing the basic look-up stuff for her. Y'know, how much do the other low-residency M.F.A. programs around here charge? How many residencies do they have each year? &c. It was a bit tedious, but I made it through, no worries.

My birthday was fairly lackluster -- I've had better, but I've also had worse. Only one person showed up last night, so I couldn't really get around to games. We tried to play Trivial Pursuit, but kept getting distracted by videos and books. I'm hoping Friday goes better.

If my work continues in this vein, my week will be glorious -- I'm pretty much done on Wednesday afternoon. I'm sure work will advance on me later, but we'll see.

I'm having less trouble going to sleep once I get into the bedroom -- but I'm having a little more trouble convincing myself to get to bed. Classic school problem: I tend to keep a vague picture of all the crap I have to do slotted between my brain lobes, so I always want to try and get more done. I've already gotten a little ahead in one class, and I'll probably spend today on the other. Aside from glorious, hopefully unfettered writing. Mmm.

The downside is, with little money and no classes, I'm not sure I'll see anybody today. Everyone seems to be working or attending classes of their own. Ah well.

"Se theow is aac."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home