Tuesday, August 01, 2006

"if you see a faded sign at the side of the road"

I think I have the lack of sleep madness. My knees are wailing like Jewish memorial walls, and I'm not quite sure my brain has the facility to actually type out this post in anything like a proper kind of sense. So, as I'm gibbering more than is particuarly common for me, you should probably watch out.

There may, just possibly, be a few more people than normal reading this -- some folks from the Hogwarts_Elite community added me (apropo LiveJournal, not Blogger), so they might actually pay attention. Not as though I have anything to actually say, here, but hello, all you folks.

I took a drive just an hour ago, which is a bit odd, really. My car's been sleeping the slumber of the terminally ill for several weeks now, and just returned late last week in what amounts to working condition. I sat around for most of today on the computer, and that never really leaves me feeling as though I actually did anything, so I hopped from my (new, nice desk) chair and tooled off for town and the great beyond. Really, I circled town through a few byroads and the like, then headed off down the meager bypass toward Morehead. I passed a police officer, lurking at an intersection for speeders, waved, and slung about a U-turn a few miles past. Then I came home. I left the house at a quarter to eleven, so yes, odd.

That's really just about everything that's happened today. Sad. I'm a homebody, as many of you might know, so I'm not looking forward to leaving here to be in Richmond. I'll miss my parents and my house -- and, obviously, my reasonably slacker-style summer days. I've read a little over 100 pages of my Shakespeare text, and two plays I hadn't gotten to before, but I've made no progress at all on Old English.

I think I may be done with the first draft of my thesis, though, barring the afterword and the fiddly bits in between stories. I'll have to wait until I have what amounts to a final draft before getting to those, though, and that means meetings. Hence, not being able to do that over the summer.

If I'm good, and don't slack, I should be able to do one more short story before school starts, but I'm not sure what to write, exactly. I have a notebook full of ideas, so I'll just go through it, really.

Actually, looking at the notebook now, there's something I came up with while talking to some folks in the writing center that has decent comic potential. It could be a novel, actually, but maybe I'll try it short story length. That's possibly a problem, by the way; I think a great deal of my ideas could be novel-length. A teacher actually said that, once, so I'm not alone in this thought process. Short stories are easier during school, though.

You know, almost every application I've looked at over at H_E features the person saying they want to publish a book. That's not too odd, actually -- fans of books usualy would like to write, as movie fans want to act and music geeks want to perform. It just makes me self-conscious, really: do I look like a berk1 when I mention I'm working at being a writer? I dunno.


1: It's rhyming slang -- the whole term is "Berkeley Hunt." Just guess what it stands for: remember, rhyming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home