Friday, June 04, 2004

It's clunky as hell, but it'll have to do.

I've got my old keyboard here tonight. I don't just mean older, I mean old. This thing could kill a Russian. It's beefy, and has a friggin' metal base. I can't quite remember the term, but it's the older style of keyboard. It doesn't use the zone-based net connection system to determine with key has been struck: each key has its own connection. It's a lot more durable. I only have a few problems: for one, it dips. The center is the lowest part, and then it rises again towards my side (the space key, for example, is higher than the 'F' key.

And I'm pretty sure some of the things I want to be fast aren't. The backspace, for example. And the spacing. Oh yeah, I'm right. They go very slowly while you hold the keys down. Blah.

The rest is how I'm not used to it. I'm not exerting the pressure to depress some keys, especially those that use my pinky fingers.

The reason I switched up was my accident: I spilled some pop on the other keyboard. I don't actually think there was any damage done, and thus far the keys aren't sticking, but I thought I should swap anyway.

I meant to look into buying another keyboard tomorrow anyway, as we're going to Morehead. So I'll muck around with this for a bit. Ah, the nostalgia. Philosophically, I prefer these kinds of keyboards. They're far sturdier, and less likely to screw up. They're better for gaming, as you repeatedly hit the same set of buttons, probably with more force than needed. And it's big and Soviet, like Rogue277's Russian fencing grip. But the backspace slowness is getting to me. : p I'd like to get a new AHA! Point-contact, I believe that's what these are called. Either way, I'd like to get a new one, but no one makes them anymore. Actually, according to Leo Laporte a few years ago, some company somewhere does, but they're considered a gaming peripheral, and likely too expensive for just a keyboard. Maybe I'll consider it, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home