Thursday, July 22, 2004

An interesting day.

Today was nice, really. I drove to town, which in itself was a welcome break, and bought a stereo plug cable sort of thing. It's meant to get a stereo (or in my case, a walkman) feeding into a computer. I bought a beginner's Irish Gaelic textbook from Liza at her shop, produced by Usborne Publishing, and I want to record the cassette and burn it to some CDs for mine and my father's use.

My friends Superopie and Sageypie visited today. Sagey is in from Ohio, where everyone's vaguely sure he's moved to (he's included in the vagueness, in an official sense). Another high school friend, a year behind me, as is Superopie. Had some good fun, with the terrible slowdown in old Sonic games, my strange ineffectiveness at the newer versions, the hideous dragon anally raping poor Mega Man, and some Invader ZIM. They both seemed to like my bodhran playing as well. I lent Sagey "Johnny Mnemonic," so perhaps I'll be spreading the Gibson virus some more.

Personally, I finished Stephenson's Quicksilver today. It was just as brilliant at the end as it was in the beginning. And most of the middle, in fact. Though the final scene is terribly creepy, and only barely alleviated by information you have access to by that point. I'll still be taking a break before starting The Confusion, though, even if I know it starts with some excitement.

It does seem Opie is enjoying Joseph Campbell, and that's good.

Also, Opie just revealed to me the secret of opening new tabs in Firefox via the keyboard. Ctrl+T is the order of the day. It seems so obvious now.

I think I'm getting a touch of something, a sort of performance anxiety perhaps, concerning my novel. I have over 183 pages and the last few have been as pulling teeth. I hope it's the normal bit where I have trouble with a section (which is usual) and don't with others. As we approach the end of summer holidays, however, I naturally worry more over the problem. Ick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home